The Sports Concussion Programme is comprehensive, integrating clinical assessment of the injured player and computer software for neuropsychological (brain function) testing. The protocols used have been devised by clinicians with many years’ sports medicine experience and the technology incorporated is utilised by professional and amateur sports teams in South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, England, Scotland, Ireland, Europe and the USA.
This concussion programme is a South African Rugby Union (SARU) endorsed initiative that has been initiated by South African sports physicians with several years experience in provincial and international rugby. The principles involved have been successfully applied to concussion programmes at these levels in rugby for the past 3 seasons and in sports concussion centres in Cape Town and Johannesburg, to a broad spectrum of sportspersons suffering concussion.
For the year participants will:
• Have a free baseline computer brain function test before the season (performed at the school).
• Receive information on how to recognise and treat concussion, including a fieldside information card for your team.
• Receive a consultation by a sports physician after any suspected concussion.
• Receive as many brain function tests as necessary after any concussion.
• Receive return-to-play guidelines after a concussion.
• Have access to a network of brain specialists including neurologists and neuropsychologists.
Exciting additional services for 2013 are:
• Protocols will be available countrywide through the SA Rugby BokSmart Programme
• An improved fieldside assessment card based on the latest international concussion trends.
• A modified standard Sports Concussion Assessment Tool to be used countrywide.
• Access to Boksmart’s 24-hour advice line Spineline 0800 678678.
• Access to medical services and fieldside equipment for your school and club at reduced cost through ER24.
Enrol as an individual, school or club